Monday, May 4, 2009

Week#5 Thing#12

I learned about Rollyo today, and I'm not sure how much I liked it. I do think the idea of customizing searches to specific sites is awesome. I'm promoting the Step Up to the Plate ALA summer reading program at my school and I loved the idea of directing students to specific websites for the answers to the trivia questions. However, once the Rollyo was actually made and I viewed it, I found sites had been added with advertising and selling - aimed specifically at the topic - in this case baseball. Some of the sites were actually blocked from my school, which doesn't seem good to me. Why would the library put sites on their page that the district doesn't approve of for students. Why do I need to promote the sales of these web sites. I will investigate further, but I didn't see any option in the edit mode to remove those sites,and when I looked at other examples, those same types of sites were included as well. So - in short - I don't think I will be linking this tool to my website any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment