Monday, May 4, 2009

Week #4 Thing #8

Wow! Who knew so many RSS feeds were available. I was vaguely aware of this - but had no idea it had grown so much. I subscribed to the RSS feed of my local newspaper, as well as the suggested feeds in 2.0. I feel so knowledgeable already. And informed. I'm not wondering what's happening out there in the world while I'm sitting at my desk cataloging, etc. I can take a short break and catch up on the real world in one easy step. There definitely is an advantage to placing all of these items in one simple place. I can't wait to show some of my staff how this works, and how easy it is to set up.

I can see how teachers can keep students informed on new data or information on their subjects by having them all subscribe to certain feeds, then discussing the information within those feeds during class time. Pairing this capability up with blogging responses could provide powerful learning opportunities for students.

I explored the Google Gear component or add-on and I love that! It's great to be able to read without connectivity, which can be a problem sometimes. I'll never be without RSS feeds again.

No comments:

Post a Comment